[WSIS CS-Plenary] 2nd message re:thank you!

Veni Markovski veni at veni.com
Wed Dec 10 19:00:37 GMT 2003

Dear all,
Today's plenary was a disaster. Not only because of the lack of a suitable
room (I hope that we could alocate one for Friday), but also because of the
lack of understanding what the Civil Society has achieved - and yes, with
the help of the CS Secretariate and through the facilitation of the CS Bureau.

I don't accept that only because of the failure of today, at WSIS - a
failure that have been something normal in the aspect of the whole WSIS
process!, we must signoff the good work the CSS and the CSB did.

If it wasn't for the government of Switzerland, and to the CSS, and Alain's
work, we would have been today outside of the WSIS, and clashing with riot
police! If it wasn't for Sally, Myriam, Bill, Karen and tens of other
people, we wouldn't have had documents, and statements, and visability.
After all, if it wasn't for all of us, the CS would have been represented
by the .... governments!

I strongly urge all of us to think and on the next plenary on Friday come
with a serious declaration, something like this (feel free to correct, if
you want):

Whereas
Organizing the work of the civil society within the WSIS;

And Whereas
The Civil Society (CS) Plenary  believes the best way to organize the
work of all CS groups and families within the WSIS was through the
help of the CS Secretariate and the CS Bureau;

And Whereas
There had never before been such a cooperation between the governments
and the civil society [in the history of the UN];

And Whereas
The CS had to become workable group of peope, representing every region
in the world and every different interest;

And Whereas
Any errors in the organization of the work of the CS forum at WSIS would
have resulted in spoling the good intention and bringing us back to the
previous
way of communications with the government - or rather with its riot police;

And Whereas
The result of the work of the CS is well seen and clear to all participants
to contribute;

And Whereas
The CS work is acknowledged as a substential part of the WSIS;

And Whereas
The CS Secretariat did a great job in providing support for the work of the CS;

And Whereas
The government of Switzerland has supported the work of the CS Secretariat
and the CS Bureau;

And Whereas
It is a chance we must not miss until Tunis 2005;

Now, Therefore,

The Civil Society Plenary recognizes the great work of the CS Secretariat,
the CS Bureau,
each of the many driving forces of the different caucuses, [the Contents
and Themes WG],
as well as the significant contribution of the Swiss government and the
Canton of Geneve,
must be congratulated and thanked and last, but not least, we kindly ask
the government
of Switzerland to continue their support of the work of the CS Secretariat,
the CS Bureau
and the CS Plenary throught WSIS 2005 in Tunis.