[WSIS CS-Plenary] memo from today's plennary

Veni Markovski veni at veni.com
Mon Dec 15 10:31:15 GMT 2003

Jean-Louis,

At 11:11 15.12.2003 'Ц.'  +0100, you wrote:
>Hi Veni
>Did you see a likely "majority" of the audience in our "meeting" applaud
>your proposal ?
>So if you have a remaining sense of respect for democratic expression,
>please don't "fight a lost battle". We need our energy and attention for our

I have done what I felt proper to do - offer to thank some people (actually
all of them who were actively participating in the CS plenary) and the
government of Swiss for their financial support.

Yes, it's true that for some people, coming from the developed countries,
to stay 2 weeks in Geneva or 1 week in Paris is nothing in terms of
covering the expenses (I guess not many people paid from their pocket), as
a person coming from the developing countries, I *am* thankful for the work
they did first in getting us there, secondly in providing us with
facilities to work, third, in facilitating the work between the CSP and the
Secretariat.

While I can understand the frustration from the WSIS itself, as well as
from all other glitches on the road, I can't accept that this alone is
enough not to be polite, and to say "thank you" to the people who - at the
end - made it possible to be there, and to talk in a free, open and
transparent manner.

The fact that I alone raise my voice to thank doesn't make my position
weaker; quite the contrary - it only shows that I feel things differently.
On the other hand, people like Wolfgang, Renate and others, have been in
support for this "thank you note".

At the end, I will stop to care if the CS Plenary has decided to thanks or
not. I will do it on my own and on behalf ot the Internet Society of
Bulgaria in a letter to the CS Secretariat and the Swiss government.

On a minor issue, what's not acceptable for "any CS delegate at the WSIS"
is a question that you can not generalize. I feel quite confident that
working within WSIS helps the CS much more than working outside - in front
of the police. Whether we want to admit it or not, but that seems to be one
of the not so many world summits, where CS has played a major role inside
the halls, and not outside.

regards,
veni