[WSIS CS-Plenary] Statement RT III Wolfgang

Ralf Bendrath bendrath at zedat.fu-berlin.de
Wed Dec 17 17:14:36 GMT 2003

Hi,

I agree with you all that Wolfgangs statement was one of the very good
ones.
(That is why I have put it online at www.worldsummit2003.org.)

And this sentence ist for sure correct:
> Geneva is not Seattle. Civil Society does not
> throw stones, it produces papers.

We still must make sure that we have an influence here and are not lured
into playing the game by the rules of those in power. For that reason
some turmoil and some publicly voiced distrust sometimes can be very
useful.
The question is always: When and what and in which dosage?

I just want to make sure that what happens here is not what an Austrian
journalist recently said to me:

"I see - after Seattle, they took you off the streets and decided to
ignore you inside." :-)

But we can probably say that we could not be ignored here any more.

We only have to make sure this trend moves further, and reflect our
(changing) role in the process all the time.

Just my 5 per cent.

Ralf