[WSIS CS-Plenary] Desai to Civil Society: What Summit Were You at?

Fullsack Jean-Louis jlfullsack at wanadoo.fr
Wed Dec 17 17:43:28 GMT 2003

Hi Adam
During our last CS plenary during the Summit (Friday afternoon, Room C) we
were informed of the events that happened outside of Palexpo and about the
behaviour of the Swiss police face to people peacefully manifesting for the
same issues we dealt with since the WSIS beginning. I therefore asked the
Bureau to protest energically against that. The Plenary backed my proposal
quasi unanimously. Susanna and myself volonteered to work out a press
release following this decision, with the assistance of a couple of young
people who testified what they lived during the manifestation.
I do believe that this press release was necessary and a quite "natural"
expression of our solidarity to the peaceful manifesting people. If we miss
that there is neither need nor reason for CS WSIS organisation entailing a
"Human rights Caucus" and discussing their different ways of expression and
application in an IS.
Furthermore I'd like to add that if CS wants to be consistent with itself
and witness its credibility and respectability, we must be very rigourous in
democratic countries in the "North" before we want to condemn threats for
civil rights in "the South" and especially in Tunesia.
I'm sure Adam that you'll agree on these explanations.
Sorry for having been too long and for my approximative english
Jean-Louis Fullsack
CSDPTT