[WSIS CS-Plenary] Sasha and Ronald

Sean O Siochru sean at nexus.ie
Fri Dec 19 15:00:40 GMT 2003

Hi

On the discussion between Sasha and Ronald, I think we should fully compile
and prepare the case for harassment and censorship (including the
documentation and evidence ) for what happened, and agree to take follow up
action, as appropriate.

I think both sides agree on the value of evidence.  So lets try to put it
together and use it.  The reported skepticism voiced by from UN Special
Advisor to the Secretary-General Nitin Desai can only really be countered
by hard evidence - these people have a natural inclination to believe the
police and main organisers (they often hear no other voices), and we have
to work twice as hard to persuade them.

It was by no means the most repressive Summit around - but there really is
no excuse for the kind of petty censorship and small-time harassment that
was going on.  It seems governments these days believe they have to go
through the motions of this, even where there is nothing other than the
most peaceful of protests. They should not be let away with it.

Sean

Seán Ó Siochrú  Central office: tel:  +353 1 473 0599 fax: +353 1 473 0597
NEXUS Research  Mobile: +353 87 20 48 150
14 Eaton Brae   Direct office tel: +353 1 272 0739
Shankill
Co. Dublin              e-mail: sean at nexus.ie
Ireland                 Web site: http://www.iol.ie/nexus