[WSIS CS-Plenary] Re: [WSIS-CT] [Proposal] Surveillance Society Status Report Session in Paris meeting

Rik Panganiban rikp at bluewin.ch
Wed Jul 9 11:45:13 BST 2003

YJ,

Indeed, this is a very good proposal.  I think we need to think about
alternative civil society "reverse surveillance."  Check out this new
intiative begun by the MIT Media Lab in the US (quoting from Slashdot):

> "'Researchers at the MIT Media Lab unveiled the Government Information
> Awareness , or GIA, website Friday. Using applications developed at
> the Media Lab, GIA collects and collates information about government
> programs, plans and politicians from the general public and numerous
> online sources. Currently the database contains information on more
> than 3,000 public figures. The premise of GIA is that if the
> government has a right to know personal details about citizens, then
> citizens have a right to similar information about the government. "

Read the full Wired article here:

	http://www.wired.com/news/privacy/0,1848,59495,00.html

And the actual MIT Media project website:

	http://opengov.media.mit.edu/

I personally found it inspiring.

Rik Panganiban
WFM

  Rik Panganiban             email: rikp at bluewin.ch
  Special Adviser            tel: +41 22 734 9774
  World Federalist Movement  Fax: +41 22 734 9775
  www.wfm.org                Mobile: +41 76 473 3274