[WSIS CS-Plenary] ICANN and the public interest issue in CS priority document

nnenna nwakanma nne75 at yahoo.com
Mon Jul 14 12:02:57 BST 2003

Dear all,

I have followed this ICANN debate long before now.  Here are my feelings on:

 "To these ends, the current management of Internet names and numbers and other related mechanisms should be re-examined with the full  participation of all stakeholders in light of serving public  interests and compatibility with human rights standards."

1.I agree that ICANN is not the best, but let us be shown a BETTER option than ICANN.  I have been waiting for that solution before adding my voice0
2.  Are we throwing ICANN away with "other related mechanisms"?  This will mean Internet governance blackout.  And when it comes to this, we can be sure that something more horrible than ICANN can take its place.
3. Why not add "with full participation of all  stakeholders, with a strong emphasis on CSOs"?
4.  Or better still say " re-examined, with the aim of replacing with a better management"?

Thx to all

Nnenna