[WSIS CS-Plenary] RE: [WSIS-CT] ICANN and the public interest issue in CS priority document

William Drake wdrake at cidcm.umd.edu
Mon Jul 14 13:01:48 BST 2003

Hi,

I agree with Meryem that the paragraph as written is entirely reasonable.
But the problem is not with what it says, but rather with the context in
which it is being said and read, so I share Adam's concerns.

The government ministries and national telecom administrations that control
the ITU have long been demanding that control over names and numbers be
moved from ICANN to the ITU.  Unless there was simultaneously some
fundamental changes in the ITU's membership and procedures, this would be a
disaster for civil society organizations (which are unable to participate
there, unlike in ICANN) and probably for the Internet more generally.  Bear
in mind that most ITU members were heatedly opposed to the Internet when it
first emerged as a global mass medium because they viewed it (correctly) as
a threat to their monopolies, and that they have been trying to use the ITU
to assert control over it ever since (e.g. by demanding the regulation of
Internet telephony and the imposition of archaic telephone-style accounting
and settlements practices, influencing standards for ENUM, and so on).  They
have issued non-binding declarations on this score at several ITU meetings
over the past five years.  The language they've inserted in the WSIS is
simply an extension of that long-running battle.

In this context, these players could attempt to argue that a CS document
questioning the current management of names and numbers (which is only one
small piece of "Internet governance") demonstrates global CS support for
their turf claims.  The question is whether we want to be so used.

Perhaps the addition of a last sentence making clear that this call for
reexamination is not necessarily an endorsement of any intergovernmental
organization's turf aspirations would have been a simple solution.  Since
it's probably too late to reach agreement on something like that, perhaps
the CS folks who will take the floor in Paris could simply make this clear
orally?

It should probably be added that there is absolute zero possibility that
anything said in the WSIS process or the ITU more generally will affect the
management of Internet identifiers.   This may matter for CS and its
evolution toward shared perspectives on ICT global governance, but it won't
matter for the larger world.  The US will never transfer control from ICANN
to ITU, full stop.

Cheers,

Bill Drake