[WSIS CS-Plenary] Re: [Governance] Request for support -- del etion of words from the CS document

Sasha Costanza-Chock schock at asc.upenn.edu
Mon Jul 14 16:34:35 BST 2003

If the problem is that our statement here could be interpreted as support
for a shift in internet governance power from ICANN to ITU, IMHO that stems
from a 'soft' wording of what should basically be a demand for inclusion in
ICT governance mechanisms, however they develop, current or in the future.
As the Civil Society Plenary, although not representative, we should be
taking stands on behalf of the non-state, non-corporate, public interest,
not on behalf of "all 'stakeholders'".

What if we remove the potentially dangerous 're-examined with the full
participation of all stakeholders;' make clear that we are calling for
inclusion regardless the forum - couldn't we all agree on a position along
the lines of:

"To these ends, we demand full inclusion of civil society in the management
of Internet names and numbers and any other related mechanisms, in light of
serving the public interest and in compatibility with human rights
standards."

This would be impossible to interpret as support for ITU unless there was
serious reform of ITU's nature, and if it's a given that power for the
forseeable future will remain with ICANN, it becomes a clear call for
greater participation there.

sasha costanza-chock