[WSIS CS-Plenary] PrepCom-3 side events

Fullsack Jean-Louis jlfullsack at wanadoo.fr
Sun Jul 20 21:57:04 BST 2003

Dear Renata
Thank you for your warm wishes ; I send attached to this e-mail the text of
my presentation at the SC-2 plenary on thursdy in both english and french.
I take the opportunity to stress once more that themes such as these dealt
with in my presentation are completely "off the agenda" in the SC meetings
and at least not considered as priorities in our debates. The same concerns
deregulation and privatisation issues in the TIC sector, particularly in the
telecom industry (operators, service providers, manufacturers) which is
profoundly hit since 2001. When at last does the "civil society" dare tackle
this issue of paramount importance ? After the endless debate on "new
rights" of diverse kinds ?
By the way ECOSOC status not only implies "economy", does it ?
At CSDPTT we profoundly regret that the "WSIS Civil society" has barely
nothing in common with its equivalent groups who are at the forefront of
global social and human challenges. At some extent I've got the feeling
through the different PrepComs and meeetings that there are mainly Internet
lobbyists or instigators and a new breed of "media representatives"  in our
plenary occupying the floor. Unfortunately, for real issues to be addressed
such as development of the South or at least a tentative contribution to
fill the gap between industrialised and so-called developing countries as
far as TICs are concerned.
Best regards
Jean-Louis Fullsack