[WSIS CS-Plenary] Re: A constructive proposal

Ralf Bendrath bendrath at zedat.fu-berlin.de
Sat Jul 26 19:34:26 BST 2003

Sean and all,

it is good the debate is becoming more future-oriented. We definitely
need to develop a clearer and more satifsfying structure for civil
society coordination and organization. Therefore I thank you for coming
up with this proposal.

I have two changes to suggest:

1. Broaden the debate:
What is needed to make a difference in the WSIS process?

I would suggest to not limit such a discussion to the relationships
between the plenary, the bureau, the caucuses / families and the C&T
group. As the wide support for Sean's five points has shown, there is
already a very wide consensus on this.

I would instead prefer broadening the discussion towards the general
question of how to organize our work at PrepCom3 and the summit - not
only to satisfy several underlying conflicts (or whatever it is - my
guess would be testosterone), but more to make a difference for the
summit process.

That is why I drafted the proposal for "Civil Society Coordination at
PrepCom3 (and at the summit)" after talking to a number of people (see
my mail from 21st July). We have to be positive and think about what we
have to get done, and not get lost in unnessesary rivalries and
backwards-oriented discussions.

2. Do it inclusive and open

I am not sure, though, if a small closed group would be of much help -
it could also lead to suspicions of "pulling strings behind closed
doors".
Therefore I repeat my suggestion made in the same email to set up a new
list - coordination at wsis-cs.org - that anyone interested can join.
The outcome can still be submitted to the plenary for approval and/or
modifications. By this, the people on the plenary list working on
content and other things are not bothered by emails they are not
interested in, and we can still prevent the impression of a closed shop.

All the best and a nice weekend,

Ralf

http://www.worldsummmit2003.org