[WSIS CS-Plenary] Re: [WSIS-CT] A constructive proposal

Renata BLOEM rbloem at ngocongo.org
Sun Jul 27 19:25:21 BST 2003

Dear Sean,

Just a few points and I had no time to respond to your proposal earlier.

1.	I totally agree with Viola, Wolfgang and others who refer to the positive
work done in Paris through existing CS mechanisms. Why should a small task
force give more legitimacy to what exists and worked? We have come a long
way since Prepcom1. In this context I would like to give credit to the very
constructive work done in the CT group with Karen and Steve, which was not
an easy task, but helped to build more understanding for the need "to agree
to disagree" in respect and harmony.

2.	Overall, the CS interventions added much value to the Paris discussions.
This was recognized openly by the Chair, the President and many governments.
The still existing frustration of CS that their contributions have not yet
been properly reflected in the drafts, has been expressed both in the
Plenary (by Meryem) as well as to the Governmental Bureau. Constructive
proposals for Precom 3 have been made in this regard, see Wolfgang's
intervention www.geneva2003.org and www.prepcom.net/wsis (page2)

3.	The CS Bureau worked efficiently and in a transparent manner (see minutes
on above websites)and reported back, together with the CT group to the
morning plenary/briefing session. De facto, therefore, what you are asking
for, is already existing. Naturally, everything can still be improved, but I
hope we are on the way. (Civil society at any given UN meeting is never like
an organization with its own General Assembly of members (Plenary) which
sets directives and policies. However, I see our Plenary as the largest
coming together of civil society voices from which it derives its legitimacy
to make proposals and to be informed of all decisions made on its behalf, be
it on substance or procedure).

4.	Finally, I agree with Ralph that all our energies from now on should be
future oriented and go to Prepcom 3, which will focus only on negotiations.
(Watch out for the new Platform for Action to be online as of 23 August.)
There will be no time for lengthy declarations.  I refer once more to
Wolfgang's proposal how to become part of the negotiations. This means that
the caucuses have to work, section by section, particularly on controversial
issues/ paras and identify speakers for very short interventions. The CT
group has then the task a.o. to coordinate speakers within the alloted time
to maximize input. (I had already proposed this approach to Sally and Bill
before the Paris meeting) I do hope we will be successful.

Warm regards,

Renata