[WSIS CS-Plenary] Opening Ceremony Speaker PCT proposal : Richard Stallman

Adam Peake ajp at glocom.ac.jp
Thu Nov 6 13:27:45 GMT 2003

To be honest, and with no disrespect to Richard Stallman, I would
much prefer to have the opening speaker (5 minute slot) be someone
who speaks on overarching issues: basically on rights essential to
information society.

Ideal would be someone on human rights (Mrs. Ebadi if available), or
perhaps gender and disabilities. I think it's important that we do
not begin the Summit by endorsing WSIS as a technical activity and
technical process onward to Tunis, it is the wrong message.
Stallman's one of the leading technologists of our age, having him
speak at the opening ceremony would send this wrong message.

In any other speaking slot but this one, perhaps most effective in
the General Debate?

Thanks,

Adam