[WSIS CS-Plenary] Opening ceremony speaker

Dr. Francis MUGUET muguet at mdpi.org
Thu Nov 6 20:57:06 GMT 2003

Dear Jeanette & Meryem

> > My very personal point of view (not the HR caucus one, which has not
> > yet discussed this issue) is that, if nominating a 5mn CS speaker for
> > the opening ceremony has any meaning (and I am not quite sure it has
> > one), we should avoid sectoral issues. And free software, though very
> > important, is one among many others.
> >
> > So, if a speaker should be nominated, s/he should be _really_
> > high-level, with a true vision, and speaking on _truly_ essential issue.
>
> I agree with Meryem's point of view and would like to add another one. We
> need a person who is able to make herself understand and convey a
> message to a very heterogeneous audience. We need somebody who
> convinces people
 about what ?   about what kind of message ?
  if the CS speaker just speaks about generalities  that are our least
common divisor,  officials in the UN assembly would certainly welcome it
and felt relieved.  Is this what the CS really wants ?
 This is going to disappoint many persons in the whole world and
specifically in emergent countries.

It is not required that the speaker be part of the "system", be a former
minister or some VIP,
       what is important is the content of the message
                         and from that
it should be determined what is the best speaker to deliver it and NOT
the reverse way around.

and doesn't put them off.
  for sure; some people will be upset, so what ?
 it simply means that something important is dealt with
 I am not sure RS is the best
> choice for this task.
 You are perfectly right, but it is the proposed task which is
 not right in my views.

I personally suggest that this ridiculously small amount of time :   5
minutes
 ( the only ones that would get world media coverage )
 must be put into some good practical use, it may be by RS with software
patents, it may be by Meryem calling for the liberation of some
imprisoned web masters , it may be another issue, but I suggest that we
should agree to propose Opening speaker nominations based on the
requirement of a practical impact. .

Best regards

Francis

Francis F. MUGUET Ph.D
muguet at mdpi.org   muguet at ensta.fr

MDPI Foundation   http://www.mdpi.net

World Summit On the Information Society (WSIS)
Civil Society Working Groups
Scientific Information :  http://www.wsis-si.org  chair
Patents & Copyrights   :  http://www.wsis-pct.org co-chair