[WSIS CS-Plenary] Prepcom 3A opening plenary

Steve Buckley steve at commedia.org.uk
Mon Nov 10 11:28:44 GMT 2003

Dear all

At the Prepcom 3A opening plenary this morning there was one speaker slot
each for international organisations, business, and civil society to
comment on the President's non-paper on the draft Declaration.

Karen Banks spoke on behalf of the Civil Society Content and Themes Group.
The presentation was based on the letter from Sally Burch to Samassekou and
the CS comments on the non-paper. Below is the text of the presentation.

To avoid continuous duplication this week on the plenary and the content
and themes lists, further postings on CS content at Prepcom 3A will be
posted to the WSIS-CT list only. If you are not already receiving postings
from this list, you can subscribe at
http://mailman.greennet.org.uk/mailman/listinfo/ct

Best wishes

Steve Buckley

///

Civil Society Content and Themes

Prepcom 3A Opening Plenary presentation
Comments on the President's non-paper

We appreciate the inclusion of several civil society proposals into the
President's non-paper on the Draft Declaration. In particular we recognize
there has been an openness to strengthening references among other things,
to human rights, social inclusion, education and sustainable development,
and that the Millennium Development Goals are listed in detail in paragraph 2.

We also welcome the President's commitment to a participative approach and
to seek out a satisfactory balance between technological and societal
issues. Nonetheless, we are concerned that the declaration still fails to
adequately address some fundamental issues of the information society and
still has an excessive bias towards technological and market solutions.

Some issues of major concern are:

The "Information Society" on which the World Summit appears to be based
continues to reflect, to a large extent, a narrow understanding in which
ICTs are generally taken to mean telecommunications and the Internet. This
approach tends to marginalise some key issues relating to the development
potential inherent in the combination of knowledge and technology and thus
conflicts with the broader development mandate given in UNGA Resolution 56/183.

A commitment to a people-centred, inclusive and development-oriented
Information Society based on respect for human rights should be embedded
throughout the Declaration of Principles and the Action Plan. In our view
the key challenges of the Information Society are to ensure the benefit of
all, including the most marginalised, to extend the global knowledge
commons and the public domain and to ensure access for all to the means of
information and communication.

Limitations on free access and fair use of knowledge, information and
communication systems imposed by legal and technical means must remain the
exception, to be applied only where strictly necessary. Free software, open
standards in the technical infrastructure, and access to radio spectrum are
essential components not adequately reflected in this document.

The draft ignores fundamental differences between intellectual and physical
products. Nor does the draft give sufficient recognition to the dangers
ICTs can pose to civil rights and liberties, such as the right to privacy,
and the need for a strong international commitment to reaffirming and
protecting those rights. The draft retains statements that endanger the
freedom of expression.

The Declaration mentions the need to address geographical and social
divides, but falls short of expressing a strong commitment to creating the
mechanisms for redressing them.  It also fails to emphasize and express
support for the key role of community initiatives and people's involvement
in the decisions that control their lives in the information society. There
should be much stronger commitment to community driven solutions including
community media.

In short, although we consider that progress has been made, the present
draft falls well short of the expectations of civil society and we remain
concerned that the many constructive and well informed proposals that we
have put forward have not been given adequate attention.

            steve at commedia.org.uk