[WSIS CS-Plenary] Translation

karen banks karenb at gn.apc.org
Thu Oct 9 23:48:03 BST 2003

dear all

and particularly _secretariat general <anut_togo at yahoo.fr>_ (i'm sorry, but
you haven't signed your message with your name)

We all know that translation is a huge barrier to effective communication
and information sharing, but we simply can't translate every message.

When i say 'we' i am talking about 'us'. Most of us are working voluntarily
on WSIS work, there are no resources for translation, and we rely on the
good will and efforts of those amongst us who generously offer their time
and effort.

So, as we can't translate every message, we need to agree what messages we
should try to translate.  Being realistic, i think that we can only attempt
to translate messages which are of benefit to the maximum number of
participants on this list.

A priority is to translate general information messages which participants
need to facilitate their participation in the WSIS process. This could
include important messages from the Civil Society Division, the civil
society bureau, and the content and themes concencus documents.

If people feel a message they have sent to the list is of general
interest/importance to many on the list, they should request translation
and we can send it to the translation team. At this point, i don't think we
can ask for more of the volunteers.

In addition, we could all try to ensure that messages we send to this list,
are written in plain, user friendly, english, do not include 'jargon',
'colloqial' terms, accronyms, do not include long 'reply-quote' sections etc.

Also, we might want to come up with some general guidelines as to what
information we do share on this list, and what information might be more
appropriately shared in other spaces.

Any other suggestions or ideas welcome.

I will ask the translation team to translate this message. I will also see
if we can find more french volunteer translators, as we have few.

karen