[WSIS CS-Plenary] Noble peace prize

Neshat Saeid saeidneshat at yahoo.com
Sat Oct 11 11:52:09 BST 2003

Dear Amir and Dear Izumi,

I share your feelings. For me, as an Iranian, it is
really a great news !

I am just sending you a very short text about her.

Best
Saeid N. Neshat

=========================
Dear friends,

I am so happy that Shirin Ebadi, an Iranian woman won
Nobel Peace Prize. She really deserves it. I just
wanted to share my feelings with you.

For your information, I just wrote the following lines
for you.

Human rights activist Shirin Ebadi won the 2003 Nobel
Peace Prize on Friday - 10 October 2003 - for her work
fighting for democracy and the rights of women and
children, the first woman and the first Iranian to
receive the accolade.

"By honoring Shirin, the Norwegian Nobel Committee has
recognized the critical importance of human rights and
the individuals who defend them around the world,"
Amnesty International said.

Born in 1937 in Hamdan in Iran – Shirin Ebadi finished
her BA in law and started her carrier as a judge in
1965 and continued to be a judge until 1969. She has
been the first woman to be a judge in history of
Judiciary in Iran. In 1983, she became a lawyer and
has published so many papers in different journals.

Ms. Ebadi is well known for her work on children's and
women's rights. She founded the Society for Protection
of Children's Rights in 1993 and has published many
books among them we can name the following titles:
 -	Children's Rights, 1988
 -	Medical Law, 1989
 -	Small Children, 1990
 -	Refugees' Rights, 1992
 -	Tradition and Modernity in Iran's law, 1994
 -	Comparative Children Rights, 1997

Shirin Ebadi was honored by Human Rights Watch in 1997
and has got the prize for human rights monitors.  She
won also a prize by Alzahra University for his book on
"Children Rights".

Ms. Shirin Ebadi was awarded the 2001 Rafto Prize in
recognition of her sustained fight, over many years,
for human rights and democracy in Iran. In particular,
her efforts have focused on strengthening the legal
status of women and children.

Saeid N. Neshat (human rights activist – Iran)

--- Izumi AIZU <izumi at anr.org> wrote:

That's a great news, Amir. Congratulations!!

Is there any possibility for the Civil Society plenary
to invite herto
join WSIS under Civil society umbrella?  I think that
will addthe
interest and significance significantly.

izumi

Web:http://www.funglode.org