[WSIS CS-Plenary] Nobel prize winners, celebrities, Civil Society speakers, Online CS

Alan G. Alegre alalegre at fma.ph
Sun Oct 12 22:39:40 BST 2003

Dear Francis and all

Lest I be misunderstood about the intent of my earlier post: I am not
against Mrs Ebadi being nominated at all to speak in one of the civil
society spaces on the summit. I am sure she is an eminent person worthy of
the Nobel peace prize and would indeed make an impact on the WSIS. (I in
fact also congratulated Amir off list on the honor his compatriot was
accorded by the Nobel committee.)

What I suggested in terms of precisely choosing who the reps would be that
this decision should be subjected to some sort of consensus-building process
(i.e., in establishing criteria, mechanism for choosing/verifying
availability/willingness, etc.)

For example, aside from Mrs. Ebadi, it would also be nice to see the
following people speaking in the plenary/high level round tables:
- a credible representative coming from poor communities of Africa (or Latin
America or Asia)
- somebody like Noam Chomsky
- the jailed journalists of Tunisia
etc etc etc

My point being, there are probably thousand of qualified eminent people and
we have to decide on the criteria for nominating them to the Invitation
Committee (or whatever structure does this function)... It really also
depends on what is the message we want to deliver, and what is the base to
make an impact...

We also have to be sure that the *prevailing* sentiments of CS--(i.e.,
humble recognition of the gains we have had at WSIS, but in general deeply
concerned that much of our content developed over 18 months has been dropped
from the initial draft documents) be expressed somehow in the most
appropriate way...

We also have to ensure some sort of regional/cultural/gender balance among
all speakers...

Etc., etc, etc.

(I do echo therefore Robert's recent post also on this topic)

Having tried to clarify this, I do want to say that I agree with practically
all of Francis' points below....except for one:

> Concerning Al Alegre's suggestion to activate
> an Online plenary, I believe this does not agree with
> the principles proposed
> by Sean and approved by the majority of the CS.

I felt my suggestion was in fact keeping with spirit of the document which
was drafted, proposed and circulated by Sean, Renata et al on Civil Society
structures...that when the Plenary cannot convene physically, the online
plenary list is the next best thing.

Regards
Al Alegre