[WSIS CS-Plenary] Nobel prize winners, celebrities, Civil Society speakers, Online CS

Dr. Francis MUGUET muguet at mdpi.org
Sun Oct 12 23:32:57 BST 2003

Dear Alan and all

> Having tried to clarify this, I do want to say that I agree with practically
> all of Francis' points below....except for one:
>
> > Concerning Al Alegre's suggestion to activate
> > an Online plenary, I believe this does not agree with
> > the principles proposed
> > by Sean and approved by the majority of the CS.
>
> I felt my suggestion was in fact keeping with spirit of the document which
> was drafted, proposed and circulated by Sean, Renata et al on Civil Society
> structures...that when the Plenary cannot convene physically, the online
> plenary list is the next best thing.

The 5th point of Sean text is : :

5.|  Regarding the (currently important) operation of the CS Plenary
between physical meetings, the following was agreed by the Civil Society
Plenary at PrepCom 2 (extract from the Description of the
plenary at wsis-cs.org list)

"The Civil Society Plenary Meeting, when convened, is the source of
legitimacy for all civil society activities in the WSIS.
Between PrepComs a 'Virtual CS Plenary Group' has been created
(plenary at wsis-cs.org), comprising organisations and other entities
accredited and registered at both PrepComs to date, from civil society,
although organisations with a key interest in the issues but that are
not part of the Summit process should also have the opportunity to
participate.
The list will not be a decision-making space, in the sense that no
voting will be called for, but a space to promote greater debate and
transparency in the organisation of Civil Society during the summit."|

May we disobey the very rules that we edicted, under the pressure
of emergency ?
I understand the emergency but we
are in a catch22 situation. .

So I just wanted to point out this issue which created a recent
controversy.  We cannot afford another one, so we must be clear from
the onset.

> With the plenary shifting to online mode, may I also suggest that
those who
> chaired the PrepCom3 plenary (at different times) - Olinca, Amir,
Susanna,
> Renata, etc take some sort of lead in the Plenary discussions as
moderator
> and coordinator of agendas... (I know everyone is busy, but since you
guys
> were the acknowledged coordinators of the Plenary, I am appealing that
> you
>extend your mandate a bit...if the plenary list has no objections.)

So this would create a whole online organization.
Why not after all ?, but this has not been agreed upon
by a "physical plenary".

According to Sean's text,
within the online CS, various actors may only prepare and refine a list
of suggestions that might be approved or disapproved by the next
CS-plenary.

Concerning the nomination of Mrs Ebadi, as a speaker, there is
absolutely no doubt that she will be approved by the next
 "physical plenary" so It is clear that Amir may go ahead to prepare her
intervention. .
Concerning other speakers nomination, this might be another story.

Best regards

Francis

Francis F. MUGUET Ph.D
muguet at mdpi.org   muguet at ensta.fr

MDPI Foundation   http://www.mdpi.net

WSIS Civil Society Working Group coordinator
http://www.wsis-si.org
http://www.wsis-pct.org