[WSIS CS-Plenary] Re: suggestion for WSIS opening speakers

Bill McIver mciver at albany.edu
Mon Oct 13 01:04:39 BST 2003

All,

My € 0.02 (or $0.02):

Thank you Amir for offering to work on this.

I too would like us to explore the idea of inviting Mrs. Ebadi.
The reasons Amir gives are all very good.
I think the next step though should involve a dialogue of sorts
(e.g. through Amir) between the Plenary and Mrs. Ebadi.

I believe a few people voiced concern over what she might say in
WSIS as a representative of CS and as (we assume) a non-expert in
IT policy.

* One does not give someone like Mrs. Ebadi a script.

+ I think Amir's idea of a briefing paper is good, but we also need
to hear what ideas she has.

- And we should want her for her own ideas, not to read ours.

There are two contexts in which WSIS CS society could benefit
from her participation:
1. information society issues, and
2. a discussion of the role of NGOs in these kinds of processes.

I think the concern over her assumed lack of background to speak to
information society issues is narrow.

* Even if she is a non-expert in IT,
I would be surprised if she does not have well developed opinions on
the broad issue of the potential roles AND threats of ICTs in society.

+ It could be good to hear the independent perspective of someone outside
of WSIS CS on these questions.

- We should ask her about this.

I think her greatest potential gift for WSIS CS -- even if she says
NOTHING about IT --
could be in pushing for a more meaningful participation of CS in WSIS
and ostensibly multistakeholder UN processes in general.

* I don't know of a better type of person we could ask for for this
purpose.

- We should ask her about this.

Thanks,

WJM