[WSIS CS-Plenary] Discussion guidelines proposal

Sean O Siochru sean at nexus.ie
Tue Oct 14 13:41:06 BST 2003

Karen

Good suggestion.  I am willing to participate.  I think the issue of how we
turn the Virtual Plenary into an effective space is extremely important and
can only become more important

Sean

At 15:15 13/10/2003 +0100, you wrote:

>dear all
>
>recent discussions are very important, and include how we can more
>effectively use this and others spaces for planning, discussion and
>concensus building.
>
>i imagine many people will want to add to this discussion, and wonder if
>we could follow some guidelines in approaching this discussion. otherwise
>it could become quite cumbersome - and, we may exclude many if we
>encounter a large number of long, english meessages.
>
>** we want to ensure that as many people as possible are able to
>participate in a discussion as important as this **
>
>some suggestions:
>
>(1) we translate sean's last message into french and spanish (and others
>in this context if we feel it necessary)
>
>(2) we set ourselves a timeline for discussion around this particular
>issue (say 1 week?)
>
>(3) we try to formulate messages in ways which make it easy for others to
>respond, by asking explicit questions, giving concrete suggestions (as
>well of course as general discussion)
>
>(4) we keep our messages as brief and to the point as possible
>
>(5) we remove unncessary 'reply-quotes' from messages to keep them shorter
>in length and smaller in volume
>
>(6) whatever language we write in, we write in plain, user-friendly language
>
>(7) at the end of whatever time we give ourselves, we prepare a synthesis
>of the discussion and translate it into english, french and spanish
>
>(8) through whatever means of concensus building mechansisms we explore,
>we use that to affirm the outcomes of our discussion. This could then be
>the basis of an input to the next face to face meeting for affirmation by
>plenary.
>
>** what do you think?.. if we can develop some general guidelines to help
>us with these important discussions, we can apply it more generally to use
>of the list **
>
>karen

>---
>Incoming mail is certified Virus Free.

Seán Ó Siochrú  Central office: tel:  +353 1 473 0599 fax: +353 1 473 0597
NEXUS Research  Mobile: +353 87 20 48 150
14 Eaton Brae   Direct office tel: +353 1 272 0739  fax: +353 1 272 0034
Shankill
Co. Dublin              e-mail: sean at nexus.ie
Ireland                 Web site: http://www.iol.ie/nexus