[WSIS CS-Plenary] Report-back to the bureau on Samassekou's non-paper

Sally Burch - ALAI sburch at alainet.org
Thu Oct 30 00:08:57 GMT 2003

Report-back to the bureau on the reaction to Samassekou's non-
paper.

Forgive me for writing only in English for time reasons.  Translation
help would be appreciated.

Those who are following the CT list will know that we are compiling
the comments received on the non-paper version of the Declaration.
We have received comments so far from the PCT caucus,
indigenous, youth, community media (being finalized), environment,
human rights and security and privacy group.  The compiled
comments will be sent before the 6pm (Geneva) deadline on
Thursday.

We had asked for all comments to be in by Wednesday.  Any last
comments received before 3pm Geneva time on Thursday might be
incorporated as long as they are brief.

I would also like to point out that a number of caucuses and
organizations have decided not to send in comments at this time
due to the unacceptably short time-frame and (in the case of Latin
America) the unacceptable lack of availability of a Spanish version
of the non-paper.

We propose that the bureau and secretariate should take a more
active role in giving us advance information of these kinds of
requests.  We appreciate Mr. Samassekou's concern to receive
our input, but in the circunstances (we all have full-time jobs
elsewhere) it is almost impossible to organize a reaction at such
short notice, much less to make a proper on-line consultation,
which means that whole regions (such as Latin America) are left
out of the opportunity to react.

Even though the document was not ready until last Friday, we
could have been warned in advance that we would be receiving it
with a given deadline to respond, which would have helped us to
organize our time and allocate responsibilities.

Regards,

Sally Burch

Sally Burch - Directora Ejecutiva
Agencia Latinoamericana de Información - ALAI
Casilla 17-12-877, Quito, Ecuador
sburch at alainet.org      http://alainet.org
Tel: (593 2) 250 5074  222 1570  Fax: (593 2) 250 5073