[WSIS CS-Plenary] Re: Governance digest, Vol 1 #89 - 1 msg

wolfgang at imv.au.dk wolfgang at imv.au.dk
Thu Oct 30 09:01:25 GMT 2003

Dear all

we have to send a short comment on Sammssekous paper until early afternoon (CET).

>From ICANN Tunis WSIS workshop nothing new came out. The key proposal is to start a process instead of having an agreement now.

The proposal of the Caucus to Sammassekou could be:

1. CS welcomes the reaffirment, that the managment of the Internet identifiers should by organized on a multistakeholder basis and include civil society.
2. While recognizing that  ccTLDs operate under sovereignty of their governments, we propose that national policies in this field should be developed in close cooperation and on the basis of consensus with the local internet community.
3. With regard to the international aspects of Internet Governance CS proposes a further development of the multistakeholder concept. No existing international mechanism alone will be able to manage the totality of the issues raised by the development of the Internet. Taking into account the complexity of the issue, CS proposes that the summit should not make a decision on a certain mechanism but promote the development of a roadmap and to kick start a process by facilitating dialogue, consultation and cooperation among different governmental and non_governmental stakeholders.

Please comment as soon as possible

wolfgang