[WSIS CS-Plenary] CS comments on non-paper - final

Sally Burch - ALAI sburch at alainet.org
Thu Oct 30 17:23:44 GMT 2003

Friends,

Under the most impossible conditions and with very little time for
consultation we have sent the following letter and adjoined
compilation text (English only, as you can imagine) to Mr.
Samassekou.  Thanks to all who made input.

Those comments received today could only be included if they
were short and simple and not contradictory with other proposals.  I
am sorry there wasn't time to process it all.  We can continue work
on this for the November meeting.

Sally Burch

Quito, October 30, 2003

Mr. Adama Samassékou
President of Prepcom
WSIS

Dear Mr. Samassékou,

We appreciate your concern to receive feedback from civil
society concerning the non-paper you have produced for the
intergovernmental negotiations on the draft Declaration for
WSIS.

Despite the difficulties in undertaking consultations in such
a short timeframe, we have produced the adjoined document,
which is a compilation of proposals received from civil
society caucuses on the October 24 version of the non-paper,
that reflect the consensus reached among a broad range of
civil society organizations on many issues during the WSIS
preparatory process.  However, given the short time-line, it
does not include all the comments civil society may wish to
make on the document.

As a general comment on the document, I will summarize here a
few of the overriding concerns that have been expressed during
the past weeks by a number of civil society caucuses.

We appreciate the inclusion of several civil society proposals
into this latest version of the document. In particular we
recognize that since July there has been an openness to
strengthening references among other things, to human rights,
social inclusion, education and sustainable development.

We also welcome your stated commitment to a participative
approach and to seek out a satisfactory balance between
technological and societal issues. Nonetheless, we are
concerned that the declaration as a whole fails to adequately
address some fundamental issues of the information society and
still has an excessive bias towards technological and market
solutions.

Some issues of major concern are:

The "Information Society" on which the World Summit is
premised continues to reflect, to a large extent, a narrow
understanding in which ICTs are generally taken to mean
telecommunications and the Internet. This approach tends to
marginalise some key issues relating to the development
potential inherent in the combination of knowledge and
technology on which the WSIS was premised in UNGA Resolution
56/183.

A commitment to a people-centred, inclusive and development-
oriented Information Society based on respect for human rights
should be embedded throughout the Declaration of Principles
and the Action Plan.

In our view the key challenges of the Information Society are
to maintain and extend the global knowledge commons and the
public domain and to ensure better access for all to
information and communication.

Limitations on free access and fair use of knowledge and
communication systems imposed by legal and technical means
must remain the exception, to be applied only where strictly
necessary.  In this context, free software and open standards
in the technical infrastructure are essential components not
adequately reflected in this document, which also ignores
fundamental differences between intellectual and physical
products.

The Declaration mentions the need to address geographical and
social divides, but falls short of expressing a strong
commitment to creating the mechanisms for redressing them.  It
also fails to emphasize and express support for the key role
of community initiatives and people's involvement in the
decisions that control their lives in the information society.
There should be much stronger commitment to community driven
solutions.

Nor does the draft Declaration give sufficient recognition to
the dangers ICTs can pose to civil rights and liberties and
the need for a strong international commitment to reaffirming
and protecting those rights.

Yours truly,

Sally Burch
Civil Society Content and Themes joint-coordinator

Sally Burch - Directora Ejecutiva
Agencia Latinomericana de Informacion -
INTERNET: sburch at alainet.org
Direccion:  Casilla 17-12-877, Quito-Ecuador
Telefono: (593 2) 250 5074 / 222 1570  / 252 8716
Fax: (593 2) 250 5073    URL:  http://alainet.org
If you are using Pegasus Mail, or any another MIME-compliant system,