[WSIS CS-Plenary] Dutch WSIS recommendations

Paul Maassen p.maassen at hivos.nl
Mon Sep 15 14:32:20 BST 2003

Hi all,

Last Friday Dutch NGOs Hivos, IICD and OneWorld Netherlands presented the Dutch recommendations for the
WSIS to members of parliament and the ministery of Economic Affairs. The recommendations are the result of a
year long expert debates.

Some of the main recommendations:
- people centrered information society
- local content, not multilingual content
- human rights are the basis, in the virtual world as well
- community access point to realize universal access
- governments should protect freed of expression
- education a priority
- privacy rights versus public interest

This short terms do not really specify our point of view, so I have enclosed the document itself, and hope it will be
useful.

I will attend the prepcom next week and hope top finally put faces to many of the names that have come across
many times.

Kind regards

Paul Maassen
=============================

Hivos
Paul Maassen
bureau Communicatie / Hivos.com

Raamweg 16
2596 HL The Hague
The Netherlands
tel: +31-(0)70-3765 542/500
fax: +31-(0)70-3624600
p.maassen at hivos.nl
Bezoek de site van Hivos: http://www.hivos.nl
Bezoek de site van de Humanistische Alliantie: http://www.human.nl

This footnote confirms that this email message
is free of computer viruses.                   Hivos