[WSIS CS-Plenary] Final version: Civil Society press release

Valeria Betancourt valeriab at apc.org
Fri Sep 26 11:33:48 BST 2003

Text of press release

WSIS process at PrepCom III

Civil Society announces today that if governments continue to exclude
our principles, we will not lend legitimacy to the final official
WSIS documents.

Civil society is already shaping information societies to achieve
social, cultural, educational, political, and economic benefits for
all. Communication rights are part of human rights. Human rights must
be the framework for information societies. Without this, the WSIS
vision of "an information society" is meaningless.

In the WSIS process, we have seen that, thus far, our main principles
are not reflected in the results. Even though the process has been
frustrating and inconsistent, with civil society included and
excluded at the whim of governments, our experience has been one of
closer engagement than has been the case at other United Nations
conferences.  We hope that this is an experience that can be built on
to ensure much closer involvement of civil society in the design and
development of information societies.

While the spirit of the documents is market focused, civil society
and some governments, especially from the south, will continue to
support the rights of citizenship and promote the concept of
cooperation instead of competition.
Even if the outcomes of the WSIS do not reflect, at the end of the
process, our principles, visions and perspectives, we will continue
to be key actors in the definition of the nature and direction of
information societies, one whose focus would be people's rights. We
will insist that the proposal of the WSIS includes our priorities
such as development and justice for the south, human rights, gender
equity, community media, education, public goods, free software and
open access to scientific and technological information, privacy,
democratic and transparent internet governance, cultural and
linguistic diversity, excluded minorities, indigenous people, etc.

We now have a stronger position, because as the days have progressed
meaningful communication has emerged. But much remains to be done.
For our part, civil society, we are now in the process of drafting a
framework document that will lay down our vision of inclusive,
participatory, sustainable, equitable and just information societies.