[WSIS CS-Plenary] "Civil Society Caucus on follow-up"

Bertrand de LA CHAPELLE lachapelle at openwsis.org
Tue Sep 30 10:28:24 BST 2003

Hi Meryem,

you raised an important question :

>Hi,
>
>Can we have more information about this "Civil Society
Caucus on follow-up" (members, objectives, etc.) ? I'm
wondering how the follow-up issue, which would be mainly
determined by the Action Plan, can be dealt with by a
caucus, instead of being addressed by a general group made
up of all caucus representatives, like the Content and
Themes group.
The follow-up concerns all groups and participants in WSIS,
and all the regions and themes addressed by caucuses.

Actually, the same remark was made by karen in a separate
email. Maybe the preliminary answer I made her will address
some of your concerns. But the ideal format is open to
discussion. My only concern is to put the issue on the table
(at the process level) and to provide a space to address it.
As mentionned below, caucus is probably not the right
expression here (issue group ?). All participants are
welcome.

Hi Karen,

you wrote :

>ok - this is done..  though i would have thought follow up
is something almost everyone would be interested/involved
in?

I do agree and it is an excellent opportunity for me to
clarify my thoughts and explain the notion of "issue
networks".

1) follow-up covers at least three different aspects :
preparation of the Tunis Event, monitoring progress and
facilitating implementation; and I agree all actors are
concerned with the three dimensions; this list is dealing
only with how this should be organized at the institutional
level; basically, this is a list for those interested in the
summit's process; content issues are and should be addressed
elsewhere;

2) setting up a group and a distinct mailing list is only a
way to identify an issue and gather those who are interested
in it; I believe it is an issue of key importance for Civil
Society as a whole, but find absolutely natural that only
certain people devote time to it; as I am glad that others
address the issue of Human rights on my behalf;

3) this is still probably a little different from most CS
caucusses who are more formed around an advocacy position
(gender, human rights, etc...) or the representation of
certain interests (regional for instance); there is no
advocacy here, except maybe a slight tendency to rpomote
multi-stakeholder discussions :-), maybe this group should
not be called a caucus, but for whatever reason I like the
term;

4) the purpose here is to raise awareness on the issue of
follow-up and provide a space for information and debate;
individuals and entities participating in this debate can
have different viewpoints and conduct different activities
on their own;

5) I imagine people participating at four different levels
(and positionning themselves as such) : visitors simply
consulting the archives once in a while to see what is
happening (the "interested"); subscribers to the mailing
list that will post mostly as a response to "Request for
comments"  issued when a topic has reached a certain
maturity (the "consulted"); subscribers actively posting on
a regular basis (the "participants"); the most regular and
active members taking the responsibility of animating the
discussion (the "convenors")

The creation of issue caucusses within civil society is for
me more important than the creation of the Bureau, which is
merely mimicking the governmental process. Caucusses (moving
from the spontaneoous and informal to more structured
agendas) are the blueprint for a new way to work and they
may be the main contribution civil society will bring to
this summit. I see the period between geneva and tunis
organized aroung issue networks - in a format closer to
civil society caucusses than goverenmental working groups.

I think civil society is essential to the period between
Geneva and Tunis and that without it, there simply is no
possible implementation of the Action Plan. My self-defined
mission is to ensure that its participation is fully
recognized during that period and that institutional
mechanisms (formal and informal) are built in that spirit.
This is in particular what I try to do with the WSIS-online
platform and with the organization during the summit of
interactive seminars to give more visibility to the
convenors of summit events (more on that soon).

I am exploring while walking, as we all are, but thanks for
having forced me to clarify my own thoughts.

All the best

Bertrand

Bertrand de LA CHAPELLE
OpenWSIS Initiative
lachapelle at openwsis.org
tel : 33 (0)6 11 88 33 32

About OpenWSIS
OpenWSIS Initiative is piloting an open consultation and
cooperation process for all categories of stakeholders to
jointly identify and formalize Issues of Common Concern
or Interest (ICCIs), to facilitate implementation of the
WSIS Action Plan between  Geneva and Tunis.

A propos de l'OpenWSIS
OpenWSIS est un processus pilote de
consultation et de coopération visant à faciliter l'identification et la formalisation par toutes les parties prenantes concernées
des sujets de préoccupation ou d'intérêt communs
(SPICs)qui faciliteront la mise en oeuvre du plan d'action
du SMSI pendant la période de Genève à Tunis.