[WSIS CS-Plenary] Digital Solidarity Fund

Andy Carvin ACarvin at edc.org
Fri Apr 2 14:45:45 BST 2004

Hi Bill,

Is this news report publicly available, online or otherwise?

thanks,
ac
Andy Carvin
Program Director
EDC Center for Media & Community
acarvin @ edc . org
http://www.digitaldividenetwork.org

"William Drake" <wdrake at ictsd.ch>
Sent by: plenary-admin at wsis-cs.org
04/02/04 08:06 AM
Please respond to plenary

        To:     "Plenary" <plenary at wsis-cs.org>
        cc:
        Subject:        [WSIS CS-Plenary] Digital Solidarity Fund

Hi,

I just read a news report saying that the US State Department's David
Gross and Phillip Bond, the Commerce undersecretary for technology,
traveled two weeks ago to Senegal to promote the U.S. view that no new
financing mechanisms are needed.  Senegal of course led the effort at WSIS
to establish a new fund, but was also the first state selected for a Bush
administration initiative to get the private sector to invest in
developing countries' tech industries.  The report said that Gross and
Bond met with the Senegalese president and others, and later told a State
Department advisory group that he is "cautiously optimistic" that Senegal
will accept the U.S. view that no new multilateral fund is needed.  So I
guess we'll see if their money was well spent....

Cheers,

Bill

William J. Drake
Geneva, Switzerland
wdrake at ictsd.ch
http://www.citi.columbia.edu/affiliates/wdrake.htm
Director, Project on the Information Revolution
  and Global Governance
Senior Associate, International Centre for Trade
and Sustainable Development www.ictsd.org