[WSIS CS-Plenary] FW: Special Invitation to our conference

info at virtualactivism.net info at virtualactivism.net
Wed Aug 18 15:49:56 BST 2004

This is a total hoax. In fact I teach it to my students [and to NGOs] as
an example of an elaborate hoax and how to spot a hoax. They actually
improved upon it now and have a website, although it used to come by
email before. The website makes it more impressive to those who do not
know. First, the site has an address from a free website which is
orgsites.com . Also, it has yahoo and hotmail as email addresses. For an
organization that purports to invite 6 participants per organization,
the least is that it can afford a website.. no? Or a logo? Also, the
organization is not in any search engine, nor are the names of the
people  involved. The problem with this hoax is not the passport numbers
because they cannot do anything with that [I hope!!] But the problem is
that they ask you to pay for an 'hotel specially reserved for you'  and
when you pay of course [via a hotmail address], you have lost the money.

There are of course many many other indications, but those are enough
for now.
Please make sure to tell about this hoax to as many people as you can
because NGOs HAVE fallen for it and I have received calls for help from
such organizations.

Marlyn Tadros, Ph.D
Executive Director
http://www.mengos.net