[WSIS CS-Plenary] Challenging the NT Authority

Nabil El-Khodari webmaster at nilebasin.com
Tue Aug 24 18:04:42 BST 2004

I would like to stress the importance of making the WSIS 2 as a protest by
the NGOs of the hemogomy of Microsoft and its bad effects on the progress of
ICT in developing countries.

In this regard, it may be imporatnt to provide a complete guide of
alternatives to the MS software/OS.

Sun Systems has developed Solaris 8 (and 9) to run on the X86 platform. It
also developed an Office alternative (StarOffice 7). Also the OpenOffice.org
has its GNU Office alternative (Soto Office is another GNU software). For
people/businesses accustomed to MS Outlook, I am not aware of a GNU
alternative. However, I found Gemini to be a better alternative.

Again, I would like that we all request the WSIS 2 organizers to boycott
Microsoft, whatever the financial contributions they offer.

Microsoft does not fairly deal with its customers and particularly does
counteract with vengance those who pirate its software (mostly developing
countries users) setting them further back.

I also suggest that special speakers/activists about the effects Microsoft
had on ICT be invited as well as those who have GNU alternatives. As many of
heads of states nd officials from developing countries attend the WSIS, may
be this would lead to policy changes hopefully towards adoption of Open
Source.

We have to take a stand.

--
Nabil El-Khodari