[WSIS CS-Plenary] Re: [governance] A Framework Convention for the Internet?

Milton Mueller Mueller at syr.edu
Wed Dec 22 16:43:45 GMT 2004

>>> avri at acm.org 12/22/2004 11:23:24 AM >>>
>So, if one were to suggest a Framework Convention from the vantage
>point of CS, how would they insure that the right outcome (assuming we

>know what that is) for CS would ensue?  Personally I still feel
nervous
>about adopting a strategy that leaves too many questions open.

Avri:
Global coordination, negotiation and governance is very complex. There
is no strategy whatsoever that can "insure that the right outcome" would
ensue. Indeed, there is no strategy that can guarantee ANY specific
outcome - So you are correct to say that a framework convention poses
risks. And it is important to identify those risks.

However, you must agree that ANY concrete proposal for formalizing and
institutionalizing new arrangements poses risks. Can you tell me what
strategy will not leave many questions open? Can you suggest a way
forward that poses fewer risks with the same potential gains than a
framework convention? What would it be?

Surely, talking among ourselves about how an ideal world would look is
safer, but accomplishes little in the long term. Sooner or later the
talk has to be translated into institutions, rules and procedures.

In other words if you are saying, "don't engage states and try to get
formal agreements to engage civil society because we might not get from
the states what we want" I will respond: OK, but the only way to avoid
failing is to avoid any attempt to change anything.

By making a concrete proposal like this, we are trying to advance the
dialogue. The time is ripe for discussion of new institutional
measures.

--MM