[governance] Re: [WSIS CS-Plenary] WGIG Progress Report

avri at acm.org avri at acm.org
Fri Dec 31 18:52:14 GMT 2004

On 31 dec 2004, at 09.38, Yulia Timofeeva wrote:

> then there is certainly no need for WGIG to get involved into issues
> like privacy, copyright, intellectual property, freedom of
> information, cybercrime, etc.

Sometime I think WGIG might do something useful in making specific
recommendations that certain areas did not lend themselves to
international governance.

Alternatively WGIG could make recommendations that, originating from
other declarations such as that for Human Rights, interpret the already
signed agreements to indicate that the nations have a responsibility to
act in a certain way in ICT affairs.

The point I want to make is that WGIG recommendations are not
necessarily going to be that a certain aspect should be governed
through an international mechanism.  They can be just as effective
recommending that something not be governed or that the principles of
national governance are already agreed to elsewhere.

a.