[WSIS CS-Plenary] Structure of WSIS Phase 2

Ralf Bendrath ralf.bendrath at sfb597.uni-bremen.de
Tue Feb 3 18:12:43 GMT 2004

Hi all,

have a look at this document for the ITU WSIS working group Wolfgang
mentioned:
<http://www.itu.int/council/wsis/Geneva_04/Tunis-RoadMap.doc>

It looks like there will be a twofold preparatory process:
1. thematic (no regional) meetings and prepcoms for building concrete
mechanisms for actions
2. a parallel "Coordination Group" where the chart just says
"stakeholders", for reviewing actions.

Does anyone know about this "Coordination Group"? Will it be constructed
like the ITU workshop, i.e. with limited participants (invited "key
actors" / "experts" or whatever)? Or how else?

In general, it looks like this time there will be a heavy focus on the
Action Plan and concrete implementation of the principles mentioned in
the summit declaration.

The themes will be much broader than just the "Internet governance" and
"finance" issues  that have have gathered a lot of interest here and
everywhere... Just look at the ITU stock taking attempts at
<http://www.itu.int/council/wsis/Geneva_04/stocktaking-update.doc>. They
cover everything.

In fact, the two working groups (in Internet governance and finance)
could be a third parallel part of the process.

We will have to think about:

1. How do the working groups and the action plan implementation issues
link together?
2. How would we have to change our working structures accordingly, in
order to be most effective and still bottom-up and inclusive?
3. Do we want this structureat all? What else would we envisage? If we
want to try to change this, we would have to act soon and coordinated.

Just my 5 (euro)cent. ;-)

Ralf