[WSIS CS-Plenary] CS at the upcoming Tunis meeting / CS input into Internet Governance activities

Thomas Ruddy thomruddy at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 12 16:30:12 GMT 2004

Dear plenary,
I also attended the CONGO Briefing. Only later,
though, did I come to understand the importance of
having a broader representation of CS in attendance at
the upcoming Tunis meeting than the CS Bureau could
provide alone. Therefore I support the ideas put forth
by Bill and Karin.

A second issue that I've watched arise recently is
whether and, if so, how CS wants to bring its input
into the Internet Governance activities that are
picking up speed in parallel to the Tunis
preparations, namely in Rome and NY.

For instance, for the ICANN Meeting in Rome
forthcoming from 2-6 March 2004, the agenda has just
been released,
http://www.icann.org/meetings/rome/#ScheduleandAgenda

The agenda includes a session by a civil society
group, ICANN's At Large Advisory Committee, which has
issued a Draft Statement on the WSIS Declaration of
Principles and Plan of Actions,
http://alac.icann.org/wsis/statement-wsis-20jan04.htm

So let me put forth two questions:

1. How does our Plenary relate to the work being
undertaken by ICANN's At Large Advisory Committee?

2. The WSIS CS Internet Governance (aka the Internet /
ICT Global Governance Caucus) has been seeking a role
for itself in the new group that Kofi Annan is to set
up as a result of WSIS. How does our Plenary relate to
that?  Could the WSIS CS Internet Governance represent
the CS Plenary?

Regards,
Thomas, moderator www.wsis.ethz.ch