[WSIS CS-Plenary] CS at the upcoming Tunis meeting / CS input into Internet Governance activities

Vittorio Bertola vb at bertola.eu.org
Thu Feb 12 18:16:42 GMT 2004

Thomas Ruddy ha scritto:
> For instance, for the ICANN Meeting in Rome
> forthcoming from 2-6 March 2004, the agenda has just
> been released,
> http://www.icann.org/meetings/rome/#ScheduleandAgenda
>
> The agenda includes a session by a civil society
> group, ICANN's At Large Advisory Committee, which has
> issued a Draft Statement on the WSIS Declaration of
> Principles and Plan of Actions,
> http://alac.icann.org/wsis/statement-wsis-20jan04.htm
>
> So let me put forth two questions:
>
> 1. How does our Plenary relate to the work being
> undertaken by ICANN's At Large Advisory Committee?

I'm the Chairman of that Committee, so if anyone needs any info, I'm here.
A couple of us (ALAC members) participates regularly in the Internet
Governance caucus.

As ALAC, we're planning to co-host a workshop in Rome, in the morning of
March 4; the idea is to brief the ICANN participants and constituencies on
what WSIS has been doing in the last months, and what is expected to
happen in the next. So it's mostly informational, but it will possibly
include some discussion among the ICANN community on how it could interact
with the WSIS process and what should be the future of Internet governance
structures, particularly in relation to ICANN (which only covers a part of
the broader "Internet Governance" space). However, the actual agenda and
interventions still have to be defined; we plan to have someone from the
IG caucus to relate to the audience, and of course attendance is totally open.

As you might know, the ALAC is an open platform (though still at a very
early stage) for all Internet users' NGOs who want to have a voice in the
ICANN process. We mostly target user and consumer organizations and
technical and professional groups in the different parts of the world, and
ask them to participate in our work, which mostly consists in advising
ICANN on the needs of the at large citizens of the Internet. Eventually,
these organizations will get to form regional coordinating forums and
elect the Committee itself.

So we think that - even if we're focused on a narrow mission inside ICANN
- we are an embryo of what could be a workable model for participation by
NGOs and individuals to global Internet Governance processes. And we also
want to bring our experience, so that any future governance entity avoids
the mistakes that were done during the long and painful history of ICANN.
--
.oOo.oOo.oOo.oOo vb.
Vittorio Bertola - vb [a] bertola.eu.org