AW: [WSIS CS-Plenary] tunis meeting

Rik Panganiban rikp at bluewin.ch
Fri Feb 13 12:24:34 GMT 2004

Wolfgang et al,

While I think it might be useful to have this document explaining CS
structures, at least for ourselves, I am not so sure that the Tunisian
hosts are all that concerned about this.  They simply want to know who
is the "main" coordinating body among the various sectors, which for
governments is the government bureau, for the private sector is the
CCBI, and for NGOs is.... the Bureau and Content and Themes.  The
Tunisian ambassador on Monday's briefing was clear:  he invited the
respective bureau's and he expects the bureaus to work out amonst
themselves who actually are the most appropriate people to attend,
which might be delegated to someone not on the bureau.

Of course the CS plenary is sovereign, just as the government plenary
is sovereign over the govt bureau.  But this doesn't help the summit
hosts to know who to interact with directly from each sector.

It's important to note that governments are also apparently having some
difficulties re-constituting among themselves the government bureau.
There are apparently many more candidates than there are slots
available, which is somewhat unusual.  Usually the regional groups
already work this issue out quietly amongst themselves to avoid a more
potentially politicized and controversial election procedure.

So really it is only the private sector that for the most part has
seemed to be able to coordinate smoothly its own representation issues.
  But that is also an open question, at least on my part.

Rik Panganiban