AW: [WSIS CS-Plenary] tunis meeting

Adam Peake ajp at glocom.ac.jp
Fri Feb 13 12:39:48 GMT 2004

I thought we had the document, "Civil Society at the WSIS:  Basic
Structures", written by Renata, Sean and Wolfgang in September 2003
(around the time of PrepCom3?)

Or does it need updating?  item 5 about the civil society division
probably does.

Text below.

Thanks,

Adam

Civil Society at the WSIS:  Basic Structures.

The following describes in summary the basic structures that civil
society has developed over the preparatory process of the WSIS.

1. A key principle underlying the structures of civil society is that
there must be multiple avenues and means for participation, and that
all civil society entities can select the nature, level and extent of
participation according to their needs and interests.

2. Civil Society can constitute itself into a Plenary (CSP) at every
official convening of the WSIS process, such as Regional Conferences,
PrepComs, Intersessional meetings and Summits. The CSP is open to the
participation of all civil society participants. When convened, it is
the ultimate civil society authority in the WSIS process, in relation
to the mandate and scope of the specific event.  At PrepCom II, CSP
endorsed the existence and terms of the Civil Society Content &
Themes Group and the Civil Society Bureau.

3. The Civil Society Content and Themes Group (CS C&T) coordinates
the work of numerous self-constituting civil society Caucuses,
Working Groups and other content related entities.  It is charged
with facilitating agreement on and taking decisions on
content-related issues, while respecting the domain expertise and
competence of Caucuses and Content Groups.  It reports regularly to
the CS plenary on decisions taken.

4. The Civil Society Bureau (CSB) functions as an interlinkage
between civil society participants and the intergovernmental Bureau
and process, with regard to operational and logistical needs,
procedures and interactions. It does not concern itself with
content-related issues. The Bureau is constituted by 21 "family nodal
points", that enable any civil society entity to find a "home", and
it enhances interaction between all sections of civil society and
between civil society and others.  The Civil Society Division of the
WSIS Secretariat provides the Secretariat for the CS Bureau.  The
Bureau reports regularly to the CS Plenary on decisions taken.

5. The Civil Society Division of the WSIS Secretariat (CSD) supports
the activities of all civil society participants and entities in the
Summit, including the above.  It may also provide support to
participants who chose not to associate with some or all of the above
entities, in a manner that respects the functions and authority of
the above.

6. The CSP approved a Virtual CS Plenary group as an electronic forum
between physical meetings of the CSP, to promote debate and greater
transparency in the organisation of civil society during the Summit
preparatory process, including between the various entities above. It
is not a decision making entity, but decisions of other entities will
be circulated there. It is open to all accredited entities, to
registered bodies at WSIS meetings, and to all civil society entities
with an active interest in the WSIS.  The e-mail address is
plenary at wsis-cs.org

7. All the above entities will take action to ensure that, within the
available resources, key decisions are taken only after consideration
of the issues in the working languages of the Summit: English, French
and Spanish.

Seán Ó Siochrú
Wolfgang Kleinwaechter
Renata Bloem