[WSIS CS-Plenary] Statement - To be read at WSIS/ITU informal planning

Robert Guerra rguerra at cpsr.org
Sun Feb 22 15:23:56 GMT 2004

--On Sunday, February 22, 2004 3:55 PM +0100 Vittorio Bertola
<vb at bertola.eu.org> wrote:

> On Sun, 22 Feb 2004 09:32:07 -0500, you wrote:
>
>> I think it would be a good idea to read at statement from CS at the
>> upcoming informal meeting in tunisia.
>
> It might be a good idea, but perhaps there should first be consensus
> on what the civil society should state. Would it just be a generic
> reminder about the need for more civil rights? Would it be a request
> for some specific actions? What other requests, for example in terms
> of future WSIS process, we want to make?

time is short - so we do need to engage into a discussion about those
topics ASAP.

all i've tried to do, is create a space - provide a tool, which might
facilitate development of what we come up with. let's take this as a
test - to see if tools like Wiki's might help (btw. has this been tried
before in WSIS/CS?)

All one has to do is register on the site, and then one is free to
revise what's there.

> (For what regards the matters I am more familiar with, ie Internet
> Governance, I think we should take the opportunity to restate the
> importance of adequate civil society representation in the upcoming
> working groups organized by the Secretary General of the UN.)

There's a meeting this coming week at the ITU in Geneva where I hope
those issues will be raised. I know, for certain that key groups will be
raising that concern at the UN ICT Task force meeting and the end of
March in New York City.

regards

Robert