AW: Re: [WSIS CS-Plenary] Statement - To be read at WSIS/ITU informal planning

Tracey Naughton t.naughton at iafrica.com
Mon Feb 23 06:22:02 GMT 2004

Hello

Since freedom of expression is so compromised in Tunisia I am of the view
that the Media Caucus should make a statement on its approach to this. A
number of our colleagues are languishing in gaol there. Many others are not
free to practice independent journalism. You will recall the allegations
that Tunisian people confiscated the WSIS newspaper in Geneva because it
reported on such matters.

There are obviously several approaches that we could take to the process, in
terms of dealing with media reality.

The matter is up for discussion on our e-list and I will get back to the
Plenary with the result.

Regards

Tracey Naughton
Chair, Media caucus