AW: Re: [WSIS CS-Plenary] Statement - To be read at WSIS/ITU informal planning

Robert Guerra rguerra at cpsr.org
Sun Feb 22 21:10:15 GMT 2004

Wolfgang:

I like the idea of an observatory, and would be keen to develop it
further.

However, i'd like to point out that UNESCO already has had an
Observatory on the information society for some time ..
<http://www.unesco.org/webworld/observatory/>

Would we want to expand it, make it more comprehensive? or create
another body altogether?

While we try to elaborate that, we should also lobby to obtain one of
the recomendations put forward by the Human Rights caucus in it's
"Statement on Human Rights, Human Dignity and the Information Society"
<http://www.hri.ca/WSIS/html/position_Hrights.htm>

Specifically,

...establishment, within the procedures of the Commission on
Human Rights or its Sub-Commission, of a position of Special Rapporteur
on Human Rights and the Information Society, with a mandate to monitor
developments in this area, including threats to privacy, freedom of
expression, freedom from surveillance, and applications of ICT to the
realization of economic, social and cultural rights and to human rights
education and recommend measures conducive to advancing human rights in
the information society.

regards,

Robert