[WSIS CS-Plenary] Translations

karen banks karenb at gn.apc.org
Wed Feb 25 07:55:13 GMT 2004

** dear translation team - i wonder if any of you would be able to
translate this message into spanish and french **

Dear Djilali,

I liaised between plenary and the CT lists with the voluntary translation
team during WSIS phase I.  I will add your name to the list
(translation at wsis-cs.org).

I would like you to know, that we did map out a process for translation
last year, we worked very hard to make it work, and managed quite well,
provided we set realistic objectives.

Whilst we have not given up on the principle that resources should be made
available for translation, the reality is - that they will not be made
available. Therefore, we rely on our own good collective will to make this
happen ourselves.

For this process to work, we need

- a broadly agreed translation policy: It is not simple. We cannot
translate everything, it is unrealistic.

- discipline, committment and a large will to cooperate from *everyone* who
posts to the list(s)

- understanding that translation is limited to the languages of the
volunteers - primarily french and spanish

As a first step, I will repost the broad policy we have used in WSIS I, and
we could all agree to abide by it or adapt/modify it.

As a second step, i can write to the translation team, asking them about
their current availability and interest.

And we take it from there..

I don't speak french or spanish, but if someone would be kind enough to
translate this, i would be grateful. (I am ccing the translation team)

regards
karen