[WSIS CS-Plenary] Tunisia meeting & better defining ourselves..

Amali De Silva amalidesilva at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 25 17:57:20 GMT 2004

Btw: The "SWOT" type analysis which I mentioned yesterday, to the plenary list, would then be a stage two for CS.

Amali

Amali De Silva <amalidesilva at yahoo.com> wrote:
I think it is best to stick to some simple but basic "musts / wants " at this stage.

1. Inclusivity of CS members in all relevant consultations / opportunity for CS to speak
2. Access to information and meetings
3. Ensure ( no charge ) on-line access at all meetings and conferences for CS
4. Physical meeting space at meetings and conferences plus translation facilities
5. Reasonable budget for WSIS-CS authorised print materials / documents
6. Opportunity for holding press conferences as in Geneva

Amali De Silva - Mitchell

Robert Guerra <rguerra at cpsr.org> wrote:
I do remind everyone the following i mentioned a few days ago.. that the
informal meeting in Tunis is NEXT week. Consequently,

* it would be a good idea to have those that are attending relay a
message from the plenary and/or CT group. what that message is, well -
that i'll leave to discussion.

* as mentioned by mereym and others, we need to come up with a consensus
on where we stand in regards to the CSB.

we must recognize the fact that certain governments and the summit
organizers might be seeing the CSB, and those who are listed as it's
members as empowered to give ideas and/or represent civil society in
some capacity.

One of the shortcoming of the CSB since it was setup at PC2 is that
there are few, if any authoritative documents which clearly establish
the CSB rules of procedure, conduct of it's representatives and what
actions it is empowered (and not) it can engage in.

I would put it to the plenary that this is something that needs
immediate attention. Might it be too much to ask to create a
subcommittee where lawyers, drafters,governance experts and others in
Civil Society could start collaborating to create a set of guidelines
for the CSB, and perhaps other structures which we have created.

We can discuss what's wrong, which is fine - but let's do something
about. would that not be better?

regards

Robert

Amali De Silva-Mitchell MSc.