[WSIS CS-Plenary] Priority for WSIS Civil Soiciety

richard t jordan richardjordan at lycos.com
Tue Jan 20 15:23:24 GMT 2004

--Hi, YJ and others, Thanks for these emails. Being an old hand at UN Summits and General Assembly Special Sessions, etc., let me say that little inroads are important. They may not seem to be so, but they are.

What happened in 2000 at the Millennium NGO Forum held 22-26 May at UN Headquarters was that an 18-page NGO Declaration was issued that covered six areas covered in the governmental Millennium Summit statement. This NGO document was then issued by the Secretary-General as an actual UN document, something that in my knowledge has never happened before or since.

The difference was that we outlined steps that NGOs thought that governments should take, what the UN system could do, and what NGOs could do.

Declarations are worth the paper they are printed on. The importance are strategies, alliances and partnerships that can make differences.

The Millennium NGO document, from all sides, remains unimplemented, but that does not mean that aspects of it are not being implemented.

Our NGO was able to make some significant impacts for current and future work because of the Prep Com and Summit processes because we were always looking toward Tunis right from the start.

It's up to Civil Society to figure out how to proceed to Tunis and beyond, but from my vantage point, I think creative use of collective visions can move everyone forward.

Richard J.