[WSIS CS-Plenary] Re: [governance] Internet governance : roles of plenary and governance lists

Adam Peake ajp at glocom.ac.jp
Wed Jan 21 06:55:04 GMT 2004

Bertrand, these are good suggestions. A practical addition would be
to open the governance caucus mailing list archives so that anyone
can easily take a look rather than going through the subscription
process.

One of the tasks Jeanette and I have talked about recently was to
ensure communication with other parts of civil society. You're right
to encourage people to join the governance caucus, and you are right
that the plenary list is the means to inform CS at large, but we also
think there needs to be a more regular communication channel with
other caucuses, not just the notice board of the plenary.

The work of the secretary general's task force on Internet governance
will be one of the focuses of WSIS from now until Tunis. Civil
society must be involved and able to participate, and the governance
caucus can only assume a representative role in a legitimate way if
it is able to present the broad view of civil society.

Some other issues we think need to be addressed:

*A letter to Annan (his office) expressing the caucus' desire to
contribute to the new task force.

*A letter to Utsumi (Richard Hill/Bob Shaw) with names of people the
caucus would like to be respectfully invited to the ITU workshop.
This is now urgent, should be sent before the end of this week.

*Inform/remind others -- UNICT Task Force, WSIS secretariat, for
example-- that the governance caucus exists and wishes to contribute
to work they are preparing.

*Let other caucuses know what we're doing, ask for their advice, tell
them how to get in touch, etc.

*And I guess it's not too early to start thinking about the next
phase of the prepcom process.  A first prepcom is expected sometime
in the summer, is that right?

And I'm sure there's more (soliciting contributions, informing
organizations likely to be interested in what's going on but not yet
part of the WSIS work, etc.)

Thanks,

Adam, and on behalf of Jeanette

Adam Peake