[WSIS CS-Plenary] events, modalities for financing working group?

Rik Panganiban rikp at bluewin.ch
Mon Jan 26 12:19:18 GMT 2004

Dear Colleagues,

I have read several news items and heard rumors about the status of the
WSIS ICT global governance working group, and the modalities for how
these ICT governance issues are going to be addressed by governments
and others (i.e. ITU, UN ICT Taskforce, etc). But I have heard nothing
about the working group on financing.  Are there meetings being planned
on ICT financing issues?   I wonder if the World Bank or UNDP for
example are going to exert any leadership in this area?

I worry that ICT governance issues will take center stage and that the
important issues of financing will be left in the cold. This would be a
terrible tragedy since these issues are of principal concern to many of
our civil society colleagues in the South, and Southern countries in
general.

Regards,

Rik Panganiban
Special Adviser