[WSIS CS-Plenary] events, modalities for financing working group?

Fullsack Jean-Louis jlfullsack at wanadoo.fr
Mon Jan 26 16:04:33 GMT 2004

Dear Rik and all

I cannot but fully support your worrying about the financing issue. But I do hope that the monitoring of the process that will be set-up won't be under Worldbank auspices. These people cannot be both "judge and party". And there are other big players in the field of developmemnt financing like the European Union whose ACP financing mechanisms could be considered as a good example, even in terms of gouvernance and participation. They just need somme more active input from ACP CS organisations. That's why I mentioned these mechanisms with some other proposals in my contribution to the CS Declaration (topic : financing). However and despite it was handed over to Bill in time (he still has my diskette) at the end of PC-3b my proposed wording isn't complete in our Declaration. Thus, in my opinion EU-ACP should be one of the leading stakeholders in whatever structure to be in place for development financing in the framework of the WSIS agenda.

>From the "Digital Solidarity Fund" (DSF) front there is no actual pressure set, at least apparently. I do hope our african colleagues are completing their study, because up to now we only heard and read about spending money but nobody ever told us about the necessary amount expected and the foreseen planning of the relevant (annual) investments. Moreover, we are still waiting for what kind of investments are to benefit from the DSF !
Therefore we should take profit to re-open the debate within the CS "virtual plenary" or C&T group and sollicit our colleagues from "the South", especially from Africa, to fully participate and contribute. At the end of this open and fair debate (without exclusives please !) the CS will be able to reach a common position upon DSF.

I agree with you that the financing issue is the principal concern of people in the South aware of the needs and urgency of an efficient development financing process. Let's take our responsibilities as citizens of the world, in the North and in the South.
Best regards
Jean-Louis Fullsack
CSDPTT