AW: [WSIS CS-Plenary] Civil society activism and Communication-information policy

Wolfgang Kleinwächter kleinwaechter at medienkomm.uni-halle.de
Thu Jul 15 16:55:58 BST 2004

Congratulations Milton. This will help to understand, that we have to put the Microcosmos ICANN and the Midicosmos WSIS into the Macrocosmos of the global world problems. Bur we have to look also beyond US and Congressional Hearings. Hope that the next US administration is more aware about multilatralism and multistaholderism on the global level. In my own academic research, WSIS marks indeed a turning point in dealing with Informaiton question on the diplomatic level, from top down to bottom up, for governmental muni- and multilatralism to multistakeholderism. While this issue was a subject of inter-governmental negotiations since information crossed boders in a substantial quantity (and become a ressource with a commercial value) - the first "international media treaty" was the "Treaty of Carlsbad" from 1819, regulating the cross border transport of printed material (an incredible censorship treaty), followed by a dozen and more international conventions and the creation of a system of intergovernmental organisations - the failure and collapse of the UNESCO NWIKO debate in the 1970s and 1980s marked the end of the governmental top down approach to information and communicaiton issues. Unfortunately my own WSIS book "Power and Money in Cyberspace: How WSIS Framed the Future", whre I go through this hisotry, is in German only. It will be available in the end of July 2004. BTW, my first book, published in 1988, was titled "Worldproblem Information". At this time the UN had four "world problems" on its list: Peace and Security, Natural Ressources, Development and Environment. My proposal at this time in the final phase of the NWICO debate was to add "Information" as a fifth problem. But, as you knw, NWICO ended 1991, but the issue came back from the bottom via the Internet. And this makes things really different.

See you in KL

wolfgang