AW: [WSIS CS-Plenary] Civil society activism andCommunication-information policy

Milton Mueller mueller at syr.edu
Thu Jul 15 20:05:31 BST 2004

>>> kleinwaechter at medienkomm.uni-halle.de 07/15/04 11:55AM >>>
>But we have to look also beyond US and Congressional Hearings.

Definitely. That is Phase 2 for us. In the current phase of the project,
we concentrate on transnational collective action and international
institutions, including WSIS.

I suspect that there are major differences in interest group
organization in Europe, Asia and the U.S. The absence of a
parliamentary system in the U.S. means that focused, ideological
positions cannot be represented by parties and so must be
represented by advocacy groups.

Your theses on NWICO as the end of "top-down" and WSIS as "bottom up" approaches are interesting, and if you feel like working in English I invite you (in my role as associate editor of The Information Society)
to submit something along those lines.

--MM