AW: [WSIS CS-Plenary] Civil society activism and Communication-information policy

Wolfgang Kleinwächter kleinwaechter at medienkomm.uni-halle.de
Fri Jul 16 11:26:38 BST 2004

Dear Bill,

There is a special resolution of the Carlsbad Treaty, called "Press law", adopted September, 20, 1819.

The text includes the following language.

I. So long as this decree shall remain in force no publication which appears in the form of daily issues, or as a serial not exceeding twenty sheets of printed matter, shall go to press in any state of the union without the previous knowledge and approval of the state officials.

Writings which do not belong to one of the above-mentioned classes shall be treated according to the laws now in force, or which may be enacted, in the individual states of the union. . .

4. Each state of the union is responsible, not only to the state against which the offense is directly committed, but to the whole Confederation, for every publication appearing under its supervision in which the honor or security of other states is infringed or their constitution or administration attacked. . . .

6. The Diet shall have the right, moreover, to suppress on its own authority, without being petitioned, such writings included in Article I, in whatever German state they may appear, as, in the opinion of a commission appointed by it, are inimical to the honor of the union, the safety of individual states, or the maintenance of peace and quiet in Germany. There shall be no appeal from such decisions, and the governments involved are bound to see that they are put into execution. . . .

7. When a newspaper or periodical is suppressed by a decision of the Diet, the editor thereof may not within a period of five years edit a similar publication in any state of the union.

There were similar resolutions concerning control and surpression of activities within University etc.

Here is an interesting source from a book, published 1906 in Boston:
http://history.hanover.edu/texts/carlsbad.htm

The "Treaty of Dresden" (1850) is part of a series of bi- und multilateral treaties, which has been concluded in the 1850s and involved also Prussia, Russia, France etc. From this bilateral arrangements came the pressure to look for a more "international system". Here France under Napoleon III. took the initiative. The Paris telegraph Convention was signed in Paris on May, 17, 1865 (five years later we had the German-French War and the Paris Commune). This date is celebrated today annually as the World Telecommunication Day and ITU sees this as its birthday. BTW, the US was not involved in the Paris Negotiations.

You are absolutely right, that the philosophy of these regimes, based on the priority of national sovereignty, determined the way of thinking until the early 1990s. Even in the NWIKO debate in UNESCO in the 1980s, you could hear arguments and language similar to Carlsbad. And, if you listened carefully to some WSIS delegates, you could discover the same bad old ideas also in Geneva and they will be around in Tunis.

This is why I see the Internet Governance debate as a turning point in the world history of making international communication regimes. 200 years governmental top down regulation, based on the priority of national sovereignty (and a diplomacy behind closed doors) is confronted with a multistakeholder bottom up policy development process, based on the priority of globalism, the principles of transparency and openness and on C3 (Coordination, Consultation Collaboration).  National sovereignty does not disappear, but it is only one aspect. A Co-Regulatory system has to look into a creative combination of traditional governmental regulation and innovative non-governmental rule-making, not in a hierachical way but in a open ended network-mechanism, where different players with different interests have to share the responsibilities for the common ressources. This is indeed a new challenge which needs a new thinking.

This makes the real powershift visible and what we see in WSIS and will see in WGIG is a power struggle. But this struggle is different from former struggles, because it is not any more "they against us". There are too many players which can not be grouped easily into either the "red corner" or the "blue corner". And too many players have regardless of their differences common interests.

So the game has just started and with all the historical knowledge it will be interesting to see what will happen in the first quarter. There is still a long way to go (far beyond Tunis) and probably after 90 minutes we will see an overtime :-(

Best

Wolfgang