[WSIS CS-Plenary] LAUNCH of INTERNET GOVERNANCE PROJECT

Milton Mueller mueller at syr.edu
Tue Jul 20 03:30:59 BST 2004

Hello, Lisa and Mavic:

We have discussed this at length.
Longer-term we would like to put together
what we call a "global consortium" of university-
based researchers working on IG issues.
But that will take substantial administrative
and travel support, which we don't have now.

More broadly, let me warn that it would be easy to add
a bunch of names to a list on a web site and
claim that we are more "representative."
But surely you can see that such purely nominal
"representativeness" would be an empty gesture,
unless the people involved actually work together,
meet, actively forge compatible and consistent ideas,
etc. How is that supposed to happen? We lack the
resources to do any more than we are doing now.

But, we are beginning to approach some funding
sources about this. No guarantee of anything, of course.

Let's keep this in perspective. The IGP is a private
initiative that originally consisted of 3 people on the same
university campus. Later, two others were added who
the principals have known and worked with for years. IGP
now is a group that knows how to work together, and we
have collectively already developed several
papers and policy analyses that might be useful
to the WGIG proces. Any expansion will be incremental
and *careful,* focused on quality and consistency as well
as broader perspectives.

Bottom line: If the research we produce is considered by
others to be unrepresentative of South
perspectives or other perspectives, then
educate us - criticize it and reject it. Or, better yet,
form a group that can do it better. IGP enjoys no
special monopoly on the topic and anyone else can set up
something similar. Thus, while longer term we do
intend to expand if possible, I would have to reject
the implication that no university can publish or do
research on Internet governance unless it first
sets up an apparatus of global representation
(the representativeness of which could always be
contested anyway).

--MM

>>> mavic at isiswomen.org 07/18/04 07:53PM >>>

How can women and men from the Global South take part in this research --as
researchers or part of the research team and not just as respondents or
subjects?

I visited the www.InternetGovernance.org site to find some information on
the research design but there was none unfortunately.

If there is an opening for collaboration, I would be pleased to discuss
this with people from the University of the Philippines and the
Chulalongkorn University in Thailand.

Mavic Cabrera-Balleza